LCCMedia Foundation

It is important to us that our seniors know where to go when things are not working. If you are reading this and you are a senior, it is well worth it to have some of these numbers on your speed dial. The numbers are 24 hours and toll free helplines. You do not have to feel alone or unable to get the help you need.

What to do if you think you are being abused?

Leave the situation if you are in immediate danger

Go to a safe place, such as with a neighbour, friend or relative. Go into a business or when calling a helpline ask to be taken to a shelter. If you are unable to leave your home, call 911 immediately.

Confide in someone you trust and tell them about what is happening: This could be a friend or family member, public health nurse, social worker, home care worker, someone at your place of worship, or a doctor.

Keep a record

Write down what is happening to you and keep a daily record. This will help you to document the abuse and help others assist you if you need it.

Take legal action

All forms of abuse are wrong. Some forms are illegal. You may want to think about a court protection order that would stop the abusive person from having contact with you. Your local police service or a police-based victim services unit can give you information.


Family Violence Info Line

Phone: 310-1818
Get information, advice and referrals in over 170 languages.

Calgary Elder Abuse Resource

Phone: 403-705-3250
Located in the Kerby Centre, make a report or get information.

Edmonton Seniors Abuse Help Line

Phone: 780-454-8888
Get support, referrals and crisis intervention.

Red Deer Helping Elder Abuse Reduction (H.E.A.R.) Resource Information Line

Phone: 403-346-6076 or 1-877-454-2580
Get support, referrals and crisis intervention.

Strathcona County Elder Abuse Line

Phone: 780-464-7233
Get support, referrals and information.

Protection for Persons in Care Reporting Line

Phone: 1-888-357-9339
Report the abuse of an adult receiving care or support services from publicly funded service providers such as:

  • hospitals
  • seniors’ lodges
  • nursing homes
  • mental health facilities
  • shelters
  • group homes
  • addictions treatment centres
  • other supportive living settings

The Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee

Phone: 1-877-427-4525
Report a serious concern about a guardian, co-decision maker, trustee or agent.

The Alberta Health Advocates

Phone: 780-422-1812
Access resolution to support to senior Albertans and their families.

Edmonton Seniors Protection Partnership

Phone: 780-477-2929
Make a report or get information.

Lethbridge Elder Abuse Response Network

Phone: 403-394-0306
Share complaints or concerns.

St. Albert Stop Abuse in Families (SAIF)

Phone: 780-460-2195
Get information, education and support.

Grande Prairie Seniors Outreach

Phone: 780-539-6255
Get information and resources.


Culled from

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *